Recipe by quixoposto
I ofter use 2 cups whole wheat and 2 cups unbleached flour. You can vary the mixture to your taste.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups water, lukewarm
- 6 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast, sugar, and salt in 1/2 cup warm water.
- Add flour to the rest of the warm water. Mix to form a relatively smooth batter. Add yeast mixture. Mix in 4 cups of flour to form stiff dough.
- Turn out on flat surface and knead, adding flour as necessary to keep from sticking until smooth and elastic.
- Let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk for 60 to 90 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Divide into 2 balls. Place balls on greased cookie sheet that have been sprinkled with cornmeal or breadcrumbs of whole wheat flour.
- Cover and let rise for 5 MINUTES ONLY.
- Boil a pan of water.
- Cut a fairly deep cross on top of each ball. If desires, brush with cold water and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Place in COLD OVEN. Set oven at 400°F and place a pan of boiling water on floor of oven.
- Bake 45 minutes.