2 hrs 25 mins
1 hr 40 mins
I ofter use 2 cups whole wheat and 2 cups unbleached flour. You can vary the mixture to your taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast, sugar, and salt in 1/2 cup warm water.
- 2Add flour to the rest of the warm water. Mix to form a relatively smooth batter. Add yeast mixture. Mix in 4 cups of flour to form stiff dough.
- 3Turn out on flat surface and knead, adding flour as necessary to keep from sticking until smooth and elastic.
- 4Let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk for 60 to 90 minutes.
- 5Punch dough down. Divide into 2 balls. Place balls on greased cookie sheet that have been sprinkled with cornmeal or breadcrumbs of whole wheat flour.
- 6Cover and let rise for 5 MINUTES ONLY.
- 7Boil a pan of water.
- 8Cut a fairly deep cross on top of each ball. If desires, brush with cold water and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 9Place in COLD OVEN. Set oven at 400°F and place a pan of boiling water on floor of oven.
- 10Bake 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cuban Water Bread
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.4
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 350.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 4.1 g