Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Filled with Latin flavors gives this dish complexity and depth. Found in Cooking Light, March 2006. Prepare the night before, cool at room temperature, and refrigerate; reheat single servings in the microwave the next day.
- 8 slices bacon (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green bell peppers (about 1 medium)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth (divided 6 to 1) or 7 (14 ounce) cans low sodium vegetable broth (divided 6 to 1)
- 3 (16 ounce) cans red beans, rinsed and drained
- sliced green onion (optional)
- chopped fresh fine parsley (optional)
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crsip.
- Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan, crumble bacon, and set aside on paper towel to drain.
- Add oil to pan.
- Add onion and bell pepper; sauté over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add garlic; sauté 1 minute or just until garlic begins to brown.
- Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add rice, oregano, cumin, salt, and black pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Place reserved bacon and bay leaf in pan; stir in 6 cans of broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat; discard bay leaf.
- Stir in remaining can of broth and beans.
- Cook 5 minutes over low heat or until heated through, stirring frquently, but carefully.
- Garnish with green onions, if desired or/and parsley, if desired.
Oh,man...this is GOOD! DiScharf, this sounded so good to me yesterday even though DH wanted pizza! I fixed it anyway, and ate beans all afternoon, and again this morning. They are excellent! The flavor of the cumin is not overpowering, and blends just perfect with the rest of the ingredients. Very easy and very good! Thanks for sharing.
I found this recipe on supercook.com when I only had certain ingredients and was trying to find something to cook.
I didn't have enough kidney beans, so I used one can red kidney beans and one can black beans, also had to sub a little onion powder since I didn't have quite enough diced frozen onion (and had none fresh.) I also used turkey bacon (with a little olive oil to make up for lack of fat.)
This recipe is just so ..... TASTY!!! Seriously, a good blend of herbs and spices! I have a lot of people staying in my house right now, the ten yr old, two three yr olds, and four year old EVEN ATE IT like crazy!!!! If you like mexican rice, I highly advise to try this at least once! You will NOT REGRET IT EVER! Prepare to put this one in your recipe box!!!