Recipe by threeovens
This pot roast cooks for about an hour and rests for 30 minutes, so you have plenty of time to prepare whatever you want to serve with it.
Top Review by la-rojita
I didn't follow this recipe very closely at all. I just didn't want to make the normal boring roast so I added the spices and extra ingredients suggested here to the regular pot roast stuff (you know meat, potatoes, etc). It gave everything wonderful flavor! My husband actually said that we should eat it for dinner every night. So yummy!
- 453.59 g onion, sliced thin
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 4.92 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml dried oregano or 14.79 ml fresh oregano, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 2267.96 g beef beef eye round
- 59.14 ml dry red wine
- 29.58 ml vinegar
- 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 473.18 ml tomato puree
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the onions and bell peppers in a bowl and add the black pepper, garlic, oregano and bay leaves. Let marinate for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large oven-proof cooking pot like a Dutch oven. When the oil is hot, add the vegetable mixture from bowl and saute until soft. Add the roast and brown on all sides for 5 minutes, or so. Add the wine and vinegar and allow to reduce briefly. Add 2 cups of the broth and all the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then place in the oven for 1 hour.
- Check at intervals, adding the remaining 2 cups of chicken broth, if needed. Remove the meat from the oven and let sit for 30 minutes. Strain the sauce. To serve: slice the meat about 3/4-inch thick and serve with the sauce.