1/1 Photo of Cuban-Style Pork Shoulder
4 hrs 20 mins
Charlotte J's Note:
From the Los Angeles Times Note: Serve the pork with black beans and rice. This recipe requires a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground dried chile
- 2 dried bay leaves, finely crumbled
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 5 lbs pork shoulder, bone and skin removed and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 3 onions
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth or 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1In a large bowl, combine the garlic, salt, oregano, cumin, black pepper, chili pepper, crumbled bay leaves and orange zest.
- 2Stir in the vinegar, orange and lime juices to make a coarse paste.
- 3Add the pork pieces and toss until the pieces are evenly coated with the spice paste.
- 4Set aside to marinate while you finish the other preparations.
- 5Trim and cut the onions lengthwise into 1/4 -inch-thick slices.
- 6Arrange the slices in an even layer on the bottom of the slow cooker insert.
- 7Pour the broth over the onions.
- 8Arrange the pork in an even layer over the onions, pouring over any reserved marinade.
- 9Cover the insert and place it in the slow cooker.
- 10Set the cooker to high heat and cook 4 to 4 1/2 hours until the pork is fork-tender. (8 hours on low).
- 11Remove from heat and crack the lid to allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- 12Gently stir the pork with the onions and serve.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cuban-Style Pork Shoulder
Serving Size: 1 (371 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 779.0
- Calories from Fat 480
- Total Fat 53.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 201.2 mg
- Sodium 1938.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 51.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: