3 hrs 25 mins
If you are not a lover of cinnamon and cloves, then I suggest not to make this recipe. I most always add in my lamb meatballs Kittencal's Greek Lamb and Feta Meatballs (Keftedakia) (if using the meatballs, omit the feta) in place of the lamb shoulder, just bake them slighty in the oven to brown and then add them in the stew. This is a wonderful lamb stew that has a good balance of flavors, you can omit the red wine and use 4 cups beef broth. This stew needs around 3 hours to simmer, so make this when you have a bit of time, or better still the flavors are even more enhanced when made a day ahead. Can be made in a slow cooker also. All ingredients may be adjusted to suit taste. This also can be started on top of the stove and finished cooking in the oven. Serve this with hot cooked noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 lbs boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1 teaspoon white salt
- black pepper
- oil, for browning sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 4 -5 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 3 celery ribs, coarsley chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried thyme (rubbed between fingers to release the flavor)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste, can use cayenne pepper in place of the pepper flakes)
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (or to taste)
- 3 1/2 cups beef broth (you can add in more broth if desired)
- 1 lb button mushroom (optional, can use less if desired)
- 1Place the flour, seasoning salt and black pepper in a medium bowl; toss slightly to combine.
- 2Prepare a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot.
- 3Add in oil to cover bottom of the pot over medium-high heat.
- 4Coat the lamb cubes with flour (shake off any excess flour) then brown in hot oil in two batches; transfer the browned lamb to a plate.
- 5Add in the onion and cook for about 4-5 minutes, then add in garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- 6Add in carrots, celery, mushrooms (if using) brown sugar, thyme, crushed red pepper flakes and spices; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- 7Add in wine, broth and browned lamb; mix to combine.
- 8Simmer, covered for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally until thickened and the lamb is very tender.
- 9Season with salt to taste and more black pepper if desired.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cuban-Style Lamb Stew
Serving Size: 1 (755 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 857.8
- Calories from Fat 454
- Total Fat 50.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 163.9 mg
- Sodium 719.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 47.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: