Recipe by COOKGIRl
Another version of cristianos y moros. True to the traditional recipe I know not, but delicious I do know. I found this recipe online but I don't know where.
Top Review by PanNan
We love rice and bean recipes, and this recipe was really great. I made it as written and if I made any change at all next time, it would be to add spicy peppers to the mix, but that's just personal taste. I estimated the amount of water to use to boil the beans, and had to add more before the beans were fully cooked. In the end, I decided I could have used even more to make plenty of broth for the rice. The beans really soaked it up. Made for Mike and the Appliance Killer ZWT9.
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 1 small onion, cut in half
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 small white onion, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 3 scallions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- lime wedge (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans for at least 4 hours.
- In a large stock pot add the drained beans, the onion, 4 garlic cloves, bay leaves, 1/2 bell pepper, cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil and skim off foam.
- Reduce the heat, cover and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, for one hour or until beans are tender. Add water to keep the beans from drying out. Remove the onion, garlic, bay leaves, and bell pepper and discard.
- SOFRITO: Brown the bacon in a frying pan over medium heat. Drain the bacon. Pour off the fat from the pan except for 1 teaspoon.
- Add olive oil and remaining sofrito ingredients, cooking over medium heat until just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir the sofrito into the beans, along with the SEASONINGS. Continue simmmering until beans are very soft, about 20 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste before serving. Serve with hot cooked white rice.