Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
Bobby Flay the BBQ KING!
Make and share this Cuban-Style Burgers on the Grill recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup best-quality mayonnaise
- 3 cloves roasted garlic, pureed
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 4 soft classic hamburger buns
- 8 slices thinly sliced swiss cheese
- 4 slices thinly sliced smoked ham
- 2 dill pickles, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Form the meat into 4 (1/4-inch thick) burgers. Season the meat with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Grill for 2 to 3 minutes on both sides for medium doneness. When the burgers are done, remove from the heat and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise and roasted garlic in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread both sides of each bun with mayonnaise and mustard.
- Place a slice of cheese on the bottom portion of each bun, place the burger on top of the cheese, then top the cheese with a slice of ham and another slice of cheese, and finally, the pickle slices.
- Place the tops of the bun over the pickles, wrap the burgers in aluminum foil, and place them on the grill.
- Using a heavy pan or a brick wrapped in foil, press down on the burgers for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Lower the lid on the grill and continue grilling for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the bun has become pressed and firm.
The flavor of these burgers was quite nice, and we all did enjoy them. However, when the burgers were wrapped in foil and weighted on the grill, the juices from the pickles, ham and cheese oozed out into the package and the foil acted as a steamer basket. The buns were incredibly soggy and had to be replaced. I do believe we will make these again, but we won't be wrapping the burgers in foil before weighting them. That way, if any juices wish to ooze it will run off the burger instead of soaking it.