Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Marinade using drumsticks
- 8 -9 chicken drumsticks (about 3lbs)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, garlic, orange juice, lime juice, and onion slices in a large ziploc bag.
- Seal bag and shake well.
- Add chicken, seal, shake well, and refrigerate for 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and brown on all sides, turning frequently. (About 10 minutes total.).
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover skillet and cook chicken an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken and set aside on a plate.
- Pour marinade with onions into the same skillet and increase the heat to medium.
- When sauce simmers, then return the chicken to the pan along with juices collected on the plate.
- Cover skillet, reduce heat to very low and simmer for 20 minutes.
i've made this recipe about 4 times now, substituting boneless skinless chicken breasts for the drumsticks. It's turned out a little differently each time, but it has a lovely, delicate flavor and the chicken is quite tender. Patting dry the chicken is important and will change the amount of liquid in the pan when first browning. .which intensifies the flavor.