Recipe by Timothy H.
The Cuban sandwich is one of the staple foods of Cubans. Typically available in most Cuban food establishments, Cuban sandwiches consist of pork and ham, and Cuban bread. The sandwich is typically pressed using a sandwich press
- 1 loaf Cuban bread
- 1⁄2 lb baked ham (thinly sliced)
- 1⁄2 lb roast pork (thinly sliced)
- 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese (thinly sliced)
- 1 dill pickle (thinly sliced)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄8-1⁄2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1⁄8-1⁄2 teaspoon mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the bread open horizontally, and spread butter inside on top and bottom. Next, place the pickles along the bottom half, along with the pork. Spread some mustard on top of pork, then place the ham slices. You can spread some mayonnaise on top of the ham, this is optional. Place the slices of swiss cheese on top of ham. Cover the sandwich and cut into 4 pieces. Using a sandwich press, grill the sandwich 2 to 3 mins on each side. Make sure to compress the sandwich by pressing it initially to make it thinner than its original size. When done, the bread should be lightly toasted and cheese melted. Slice the sandwich in half diagonally.