1/1 Photo of Cuban Sandwich
4 hrs 15 mins
3 hrs 15 mins
Recipe courtesy Cafe Habana of New York City and aired on the show Sara's Secrets. For Zaar World Tour III
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 6 long sandwich buns, split in half, French loaf style bread
- 6 slices black forest ham
- 12 slices imported swiss cheese
- 2 kosher dill pickles, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 1/2 lbs roast pork, thinly sliced (about 3 cups) or 1 1/2 lbs roast pork, shredded (about 3 cups)
- kosher salt
- 1 (8 lb) pork shoulder, boned
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons adobo seasoning
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1In a mini food processor, combine the mayonnaise and chipotles and process until smooth. Spread the cut sides of the rolls with the chipotle mayonnaise. Assemble the sandwiches with the ham, cheese, pickles and roast pork. Top the meat with a spoonful of the pork pan juices and season with salt. Close the sandwiches and tuck in any overhanging filling.
- 2Using an electric sandwich grill press, grill the sandwiches in batches until crispy and hot.
- 3Alternately, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Set a large skillet or griddle over moderately low heat. Arrange the sandwiches on the griddle and cover with a large baking sheet weighed down with a heavy skillet. Cook the sandwiches, turning once, until they're crisp on the outside, about 6 minutes.
- 4Transfer the sandwiches to a baking sheet and bake until the cheese is melted, about 8 minutes. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve immediately; pass the remaining pan juices separately.
- 5Roast Pork: Using a small, sharp knife, make 1-inch-long slashes in the skin of the pork shoulder, about 2 inches apart. Rub the garlic into the slashes and along the underside of the pork.
- 6In a large glass or ceramic bowl, combine the vinegar, lime juice, grapefruit juice, orange juice, oregano, pepper, adobo seasoning, and salt and pepper. Stir in the green pepper and onion, then add the pork, skin side up. Refrigerate overnight turning the meat once or twice. Bring to room temperature before cooking.
- 7Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Transfer the pork and its marinade to a roasting pan. Cover with foil and roast until very tender, about 3 hours. Let cool in the liquid. Transfer the pork to a cutting board and discard the skin and fat. Strain the pan juices into a glass measure and skim off the fat. Slice or shred the pork, as desired.
- 8Cook's note: The pork can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cuban Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (1012 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2196.2
- Calories from Fat 1343
- Total Fat 149.2 g
- Saturated Fat 54.4 g
- Cholesterol 568.9 mg
- Sodium 1645.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 153.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo