Recipe by Brenda.
A slow cooked Cuban "Beef Stew". A great way to have a hot dinner on the table with little fuss. Serve over rice or with tortillas for an easy dinner.
- 907.18 g beef flank steak
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 236.59 ml beef broth
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4.92 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown the flank steak on each side, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer beef to a slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, mix together the beef broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste, onion, bell pepper, garlic, cilantro, olive oil and vinegar.
- Stir until well blended.
- Pour over flank steak in slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on High for 4 hours, or on Low for up to 10 hours.
- When ready to serve, shred meat and serve with tortillas or rice.
- If freezing ahead: Don't brown the meat, just put ingredients in a ziploc bag and place in freezer, flattened. (I like to fit it into a bowl that will fit into the crockpot, but you don't have to.
- To cook from frozen: Thaw in refrigerator if desired (or put in frozen). Cook as directed above. If cooking from frozen add time for thawing.