1/1 Photo of Cuban Ropa Vieja - Crock Pot (Oamc)
4 hrs 20 mins
A slow cooked Cuban "Beef Stew". A great way to have a hot dinner on the table with little fuss. Serve over rice or with tortillas for an easy dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef flank steak
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Brown the flank steak on each side, about 4 minutes per side.
- 3Transfer beef to a slow cooker.
- 4In a large bowl, mix together the beef broth, tomato sauce, tomato paste, onion, bell pepper, garlic, cilantro, olive oil and vinegar.
- 5Stir until well blended.
- 6Pour over flank steak in slow cooker.
- 7Cover, and cook on High for 4 hours, or on Low for up to 10 hours.
- 8When ready to serve, shred meat and serve with tortillas or rice.
- 9If freezing ahead: Don't brown the meat, just put ingredients in a ziploc bag and place in freezer, flattened. (I like to fit it into a bowl that will fit into the crockpot, but you don't have to.
- 10To cook from frozen: Thaw in refrigerator if desired (or put in frozen). Cook as directed above. If cooking from frozen add time for thawing.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cuban Ropa Vieja - Crock Pot (Oamc)
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.4
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 91.8 mg
- Sodium 491.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 33.1 g