Prep 24 hrs
Cook 5 hrs
This is one of my absolute favorite pork recipes. It is so flavorful and tender. Try it!
- 5 -6 lbs pork roast, shoulder, sirloin
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and slivered
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon oregano, ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt, to taste
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Trim fat from roast, if any.
- With a sharp knife, cut tiny holes in roast and insert slivers of garlic.
- In large plastic bag, place remaining ingredients.
- Shake to mix well.
- Place pork roast in bag.
- Place in refrigerator, at least overnight.
- Remove roast from marinade and discard the marinade.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Place in covered baking pan and cook for 5-6 hours.
- Turn once during baking.
This was outstanding! We grilled this on the outdoor gas grill after marinating about a day. Everyone thought it was delicious!!!
I have made this 5 times now, and have stumbled upon a process that has proven to be BETTER than the "authentic" Cuban Roast Pork. Follow this recipe, EXCEPT....marinate for no less than 48 hours, turning halfway to ensure the whole thing is marinated. I only drain out the liquid...none of the spices or onions, and I bake it that way. I also baked it at 200 degrees for about 7 hours, covered with aluminum foil. The eighth hour, I pull it out, and suck out the MAJORITY of the liquid with a turkey baster, and I RESERVE THIS LIQUID for making my rice later on....this makes EXCELLENT tasting rice for black beans!! Finally, I take two forks and I shred the pork and spread it out in the pan. I spoon it's own drippings over it, (grease), and then I put it under the broiler on HIGH until it starts to get some "crispies". I turn it a few times and keep doing this...then it's ready to eat!! WOW!!!!! You will NOT be disappointed if you take the time to do this!!! Because of the time involved, I generally do two roasts at a time and just double the recipe...it preserves VERY well! ENJOY!!
WOW! What an awesome recipe. We also grilled our roast. It was sooo... flavorful. The onions we mixed with other vegetables and grilled when roast was done. It was a hit with my whole family. Thanks!!!