Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
I have only recently discovered that I really love Cuban food. I went to school in Miami, but that was before the majority of the influx of Cuban immigrants (and besides, what do teenagers eat?). Anyway, while there are many similarities between different foods from the Caribbean, Cuban food is subtly different, but oh so delicious.
- 5 lbs whole chickens
- butter (to rub on outside of chicken) or olive oil (to rub on outside of chicken)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 4 cups rice, cooked al dente
- 4 Italian sausages, links sliced (sweet or hot)
- 3⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive, sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine rice, sausage, pine nuts, and raisins for make a stuffing for the chicken. Stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Stuff chicken, loosely, then truss. Rub chicken with butter and/or olive oil. Season chicken with paprika and pepper to taste.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan with the breast side up. Roast 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock, sherry and any unused stuffing. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Roast 20 minutes per pound, basting occasionally. Add more stock and sherry, if necessary.