Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from a friend of mine.
- 6 slices bacon (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pepper
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 15 ounces rinsed and drained black beans
- 14 1⁄2 ounces Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
- enough uncooked brown rice, for 4 servings
- Cook bacon over medium heat in 10 inch pan for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove bacon from pan (reserve 1 teaspoon bacon pan drippings).
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- In the same skillet as you cooked the bacon, add green pepper and onion to bacon drippings.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in crumbled bacon, beans, tomatoes, and thyme.
- Continue cooking until liquid is reduced and sauce thickens (10-15 minutes) Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions for 4 servings.
- Serve black bean mixture over rice.
- Makes 4 servings of 1/2 cup each.
- Adjust amounts of each ingredient as necessary to make more for functions and the like.