Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I just received this recipe from a good friend and cannot wait to make it!
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can frozen margarita mix, thawed
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) boneless pork butt or 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) pork shoulder blade roast
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 loaves ciabatta (12 oz each)
- lettuce leaf
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Spray 4-5 quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place onions in slow cooker.
- In small bowl, mix dried minced garlic, cumin, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of the margarita mix to form a paste.
- Pat mixture on top and sides of roast. (If roast comes tied or in netting, remove before rubbing with spice mixture.).
- Place roast on onions. Pour remaining margarita mix around roast.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove pork; when cool enough to handle, shred with 2 forks. Return meat to slow cooker; stir in 1/2 cup cilantro.
- In small bowl, mix Cilantro Lime mayo ingredients.
- Slice each loaf of ciabatta bread in half horizontally. With slotted spoon, spoon pork mixture onto bottom halves of bread.
- Top each with 3-4 lettuce leaves. Spread about 1/2 cup of the mayo mixture on top halves of bread; place over lettuce.
- Cut into slices. Discard liquid in slow cooker.