Recipe by LAURIE
From a griling web site these are awesome! I love the fact that they are done on the grilland that a pork loin is something I aways have in the freezer. Cuban sandwiches feature a distinctive combination of marinated pork, ham, Swiss cheese, and dill pickles. Slice them in halves or quarters and arrange on a platter for great party fare. Char the buns on both sides for a "Media Noche" (midnight) version of this Cuban classic. We dont care for the charred buns but to each his own......prep time includes marinating time.
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemonade
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 (2 lb) boneless pork loin roast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 French rolls
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 8 slices deli ham
- 24 dill pickle slices
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the marinade: In a medium bowl whisk together the first seven (marinade)ingredients.
- Trim the pork loin of any excess fat.
- Place the roast in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade.
- Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly.
- Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove the roast from the bag and discard the marinade.
- Allow to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling.
- Pat dry with paper towels and season with the salt and pepper.
- Sear the roast over Direct Medium heat until well marked, about 10 minutes, turning once.
- Continue grilling over Indirect Medium heat until the internal temperature reaches 155?F, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer the roast to a carving board and loosely cover with foil.
- Allow to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Slice crosswise as thinly as possible.
- Just before serving, split the rolls, spread the inside of each roll with 1 tablespoon butter, and grill them, cut side down, over Direct Medium heat until toasted, about 30 seconds.
- Layer each roll with Swiss cheese, ham, pickle slices, and sliced pork loin.
- Finally, flatten the sandwiches on a cutting board with the palm of your hand and then grill them over Direct Medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Turn the sandwiches and press down firmly a second time (with a metal spatula) and grill for 30 seconds more.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.