1/2 Photos of Cuban Pizza
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is the most delicious homemade pizza I've eaten. It's a borrowed recipe I tweaked to make lower sodium. It is versatile. It makes a lot of sauce, so you can either make the whole lot or you can make a couple of pizzas and freeze the remaining sauce and use when you are short on time. You can use whatever cheeses and toppings you want in whatever amounts you want. It's really a recipe that is "add to taste." It can be spicy or not. It might take a little work to make the sauce, but it's well worth it!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons diced garlic
- 1 medium onion (I used white)
- 6 ounces tomato paste (I used Contadina roasted garlic flavor)
- 22 ounces no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (you can lessen or omit for low sodium)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 tablespoons brown sugar (can use substitute)
- 10 ounces Cotija cheese
- 5 lbs other cheese (I used part-skim mozzarella, cheddar, and a pizza or fiesta mix)
- 4 -6 prepared pizza crust (any kind you prefer)
- 1Saute onion in olive oil for about 4 minutes on med-high heat, you can add more oil to coat onions well.
- 2Add garlic and cook for additional 3 minutes.
- 3Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, bay leaf, seasonings, and brown sugar.
- 4Simmer uncovered on med-low for 30 minutes or until thick. Watch out for splattering and stir frequently.
- 5(Here, you can chose to refrigerate the sauce overnight or use it immediately).
- 7To make this pizza with a more authentic Latin taste, you can make a roux:.
- 8Saute flour in 2 T of butter until lightly golden.
- 9Add can of enchilada sauce.
- 10You may chose to add cumin, garlic, brown sugar, and beef broth to taste.
- 11Simmer this at med-low until thickened.
- 12Mix into pizza sauce a little at a time to taste (the more you add, the spicier it will be).
- 13Spray olive oil spray on tops of pizza crusts.
- 14Add about 1/2 cup sauce to pizza (be careful to not add too much).
- 15Crumble some cojita cheese and add about 1/2 cup of other cheeses.
- 16Add any other toppings such as peperoni or Canadian bacon.
- 17Top with more cheese and bake as directed for whatever type of crust you have.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cuban Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 80
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 120.7
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 21.8 mg
- Sodium 350.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
prepared pizza crust
low sodium beef broth