Wonderful Cuban recipe for one of the best meat dishes there is. I used to eat at this great mom and pop Cuban restaurant in my town and unfortunately they closed down. This was the closest I could get to their wonderful recipe !
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup oil or 1⁄4 cup lard
- 1 green pepper, finely diced
- 2 large onions, finely diced
- 5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup cooking wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 lbs ground beef (or combination) or 2 lbs ground pork (or combination)
- 15 -20 whole pimento stuffed olives
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- Mash the salt, pepper and garlic together in a mortar until well blended.
- Lightly brown this mixture in the lard/oil with the pepper and the onions until the onions become translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce and let it simmer for a minute.
- Add the vinegar.
- Add the meat and cook for 5-minutes.
- Add the cooking wine, olives and raisins.
- Simmer until liquid is absorbed (I usually let this simmer for around an hour or so on low, so the flavors meld together).
- Serve with rice and beans and a nice cold beer.
- Tastes even better the next day!