Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This meat mixture is cooked with a sofrito and can be served on rice with eggs or in tortillas like a taco. Goes well with fried plaintains.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped (no stems)
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1⁄2 cup stuffed green olive
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 4 -5 tablespoons crushed cumin seeds
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced pimento (optional)
- 4 eggs, fried (optional)
- steamed rice (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add the sofrito (garlic, onions, green pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, capers, olives, bay leaves and cumin seeds).
- Cook the sofrito until it is fragrant and the onions are translucent; remove from pan and set aside.
- Brown ground beef in pan and drain fat.
- Add sofrito to the beef along with the tomatoes, vinegar, and cayenne pepper.
- Simmer for 45 minutes on low heat.
- Serve over rice, with a fried egg on top, garnished with pimiento, if desired.
- Another option to serve is to spoon it into corn tortillas, with lettuce, tomato, green onions, jalapenos, cheese, and hot sauce, like a taco.