- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained,keep juice
- 2⁄3 cup beef stock (or 1/2 can of broth)
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch sugar
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion and garlic.
- Cook over very low heat until the onions are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and brown, stirring constantly with a fork to break up the meat.
- Stir in the tomato paste, chile, tomatoes, cumin, oregano, half the parsley and scallions, and the sugar, mix well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add the stock and potato and continue cooking, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the patato is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Use the tomato juice if you need more liquid.
- Mix in the remaining parsley and scallions and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with bread or rice.