Recipe by Bitsie
This recipe belongs to my Aunt Rose. She was a neighbor friend of my mothers and taught Mom to make this soup 40 years ago. Somewhere along the way I learned to make it too. Warm and hearty, a fairly healthy soup.
Top Review by michele morgan
Very Good. It worked well without stock and was good the way it was, but I decided to pump up the nutrition a little and added some fresh spinach and it was very good that way too.
- 1 cup navy beans, soaked
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium potato, diced
- saffron thread
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup butternut squash, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain beans, combine with water& bay leaf& simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Add additional water if necessary.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil& cook garlic& onions 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes& cook for 10 minutes.
- When beans are tender, add tomato mixture, potato, saffron, salt, pepper, cumin, cabbage& squash& cook for another 30 minutes.
- Add more water and stir as necessary.
- Serve garnished with parsley.