Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Ready, Set, Cook! Reynolds Wrap Contest Entry. Always looking for ways to give traditional dishes a Caribbean twist.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 ripe plantain
- Reynolds Wrap Foil
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- In a medium sauce pan heat extra virgin olive oil over medium then add red and green peppers and onions. Cook until the onions are translucent and soft add garlic. Stir and cook for 1 minute stirring often. Don’t allow garlic to burn. Add 4oz of tomato sauce and all the spices up through and including the black pepper and cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from stove and allow to cool. Cut tips of plantain and peel then cut plantain into 4 equal parts. Sprinkle plantain pieces with cinnamon. Place ground beef in a bowl, add tomato sauce mixture, and egg then mix to combine. Divide meat into four equal parts. Pat mixture down to thin patties, place a plantain piece in the middle, sprinkle with cheese and wrap meat around plantain making sure there are no open seams.
- Cut 4, 12 in strips of foil wrap, place each loaf on a sheet. Drizzle each with tomato remaining tomato sauce. Loosely wrap foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour.