1/2 Photos of Cuban Meat Stew (Ropa Vieja)
2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This meat stew is delicious and easy. A nice change of pace, and it makes the house smell so good. Serve with rice and a salad, or crusty bread. From a Goya cookbook--Best of the Americas-Carribean.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs flank steaks, cut in 4 x 5 inch strips
- all purpose adobo seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups finely diced onions
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced green peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can spanish style tomato sauce (such as Goya)
- 1 (6 ounce) jar sofrito sauce (such as Goya)
- 3 cups water
- 1 packet sazon goya with coriander and annatto (again, such as Goya)
- 1 packet beef bouillon (I used about 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon Beef Base)
- 1 ounce jar capers, rinsed
- 10 large pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced
- 1Season steak with Adobo.
- 2In large skillet, heat oil on medium high, brown meat on both sides, remove and keep warm.
- 3Lower heat to medium, add garlic, onion and green pepper, cook-stirring often for about 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in black pepper and tomato sauce and cook, stirring often for about 5 minutes.
- 5Stir in the sofrito, water, sazon and bouillon and bring to a boil.
- 6Return the meat to the pan, cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring it occasionally.
- 7Add in the capers and olives, continue to simmer covered, until the meat is tender and shreds easily.
- 8This should take about 1-1/2 hours.
- 9You can add more water 1/4 cup at a time if the sauce gets too dry.
- 10To serve, shred the meat with 2 forks and mix back into sauce.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cuban Meat Stew (Ropa Vieja)
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 422.9
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 128.6 mg
- Sodium 620.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 42.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sazon goya with coriander and annatto
pimento-stuffed green olives