Cook2 hrs 30 mins
This meat stew is delicious and easy. A nice change of pace, and it makes the house smell so good. Serve with rice and a salad, or crusty bread. From a Goya cookbook--Best of the Americas-Carribean.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks, cut in 4 x 5 inch strips
- all purpose adobo seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups finely diced onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely diced green peppers
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) canspanish style tomato sauce (such as Goya)
- 1 (6 ounce) jar sofrito sauce (such as Goya)
- 3 cups water
- 1 packet sazon goya with coriander and annatto (again, such as Goya)
- 1 packet beef bouillon (I used about 1 tsp Better Than Bouillon Beef Base)
- 1 ounce jar capers, rinsed
- 10 large pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced
- Season steak with Adobo.
- In large skillet, heat oil on medium high, brown meat on both sides, remove and keep warm.
- Lower heat to medium, add garlic, onion and green pepper, cook-stirring often for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in black pepper and tomato sauce and cook, stirring often for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sofrito, water, sazon and bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Return the meat to the pan, cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring it occasionally.
- Add in the capers and olives, continue to simmer covered, until the meat is tender and shreds easily.
- This should take about 1-1/2 hours.
- You can add more water 1/4 cup at a time if the sauce gets too dry.
- To serve, shred the meat with 2 forks and mix back into sauce.
I used the crockpot for this and served it in corn tortillas. Very good.
This was delicious! Absolutely a keeper! I love olives so I will put more olives in the next time I make this. Also will increase the seasoning for my own taste.However it is still so so good as written for anyone wanting to try this for the first time. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe-it's going in the permanent file!
I followed the recipe for somethings, but i decided to disreguard the veggies. I did cook it on the stove top and it came out to be so good and soft , it took about 3 hours to cook . It taste so delicious , and i will deff keep using this recipe :) ... Ill just add the potatoes in it. <3