Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Something I came up with during one of my "Dexter," binges. This is super savoury, rich, filling, and above all, delicious. Very easy to make, as well. Serve over rice.
- 1 teaspoon pork fat (or oil, etc)
- 1 medium onion, small dice
- 2 stalks celery, small dice
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped (I like small dice, but do with it what you will)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 smoked sausage, sliced diagonally in thirds
- 1 (5 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika (or smoked paprika, if you can)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, sautée onion, celery and bell pepper until softened.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add sausage and let brown, making sure to stir fairly often.
- Add 1 can of tomato paste, mixed with the 1.5 – 2 cups water (however thick you’d like your sauce, initially), to form a sauce.
- Add to the skillet, with sugar, lime juice, oregano, cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes, bay leaf, and a little salt and pepper to start.
- Cover and let cook 10-15 minutes, simmering over medium/medium-low heat. remove lid and let simmer 3-5 minutes, till sauce thickens to your liking.
- Check for seasoning, and serve over rice!