Recipe by Boo Chef in West Texas
From Chow recipes A green salad with black beans, caramelized onions, avocados, and lime vinaigrette.a great side salad for anything from roasted chicken to grilled fish.
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 medium red onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2⁄3 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into sixths
- 4 medium ripe avocados, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into sixths
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 head bibb lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 head boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup cooked black beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1/4 cup of the canola oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. When oil shimmers, add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1/3 cup of the sherry vinegar, and scrape up any browned bits that have adhered to the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette. Combine remaining 1/3 cup sherry vinegar and lime juice in a medium nonreactive bowl, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. While constantly whisking, pour in remaining 1/4 cup canola oil and olive oil in a slow, thin stream until dressing is well combined; set aside.
- To serve, combine cooled onions, tomatoes, avocados, lettuces, and black beans in a large bowl and toss. Add 3/4 of the vinaigrette and toss until greens are well coated. Taste, add more vinaigrette as desired, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.