Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From Foods with a Foreign Flavor textbook - posted for ZWT5.
- 1 lb dried garbanzo beans
- 1 ham hock
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cut in eighths
- Cook beans and ham hock until beans are tender (in water that just covers all of the beans, adding water when necessary). The beans will require a longer cooking time than many types because they are a harder bean
- When beans are tender, melt shortening in skillet. Saute onion and green pepper; add garlic, cumin and tomato sauce. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add mixture to beans. Add potatoes to beans and sauce. Simmer until potatoes are done. May be eaten as is or served over rice.