Recipe by Miss Annie
This dish could be used for breakfast or brunch. It makes a fast breakfast because you could cook your eggs and sauce the night before, and reheat the next morning.
Top Review by love4culinary
This is a really good recipe, and it looks excellent. I was looking for a bit more flavor...maybe I should have added more pepper and salt. Overall it was good. Thanks for a quick brunch. :-)
- 8 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided (4 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet green pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 (8 ounce) cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- hot cooked rice (optional)
- parsley sprig (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut eggs in half lengthwise.
- Remove yolks and set whites aside.
- In small bowl, mash yolks with fork.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of cheese, milk, salt, and pepper until well blended.
- Fill each half egg with one heaping Tablespoon yolk mixture.
- Place in 8x8x2-inch baking dish.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, cook onion and pepper in butter until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and bring to boiling.
- Pour over eggs.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice and garnish with parsley, if desired.