Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tired of the same old hamburger recipes? Give this a try.
Make and share this Cuban Chopped Beef and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, soaked 10 minutes in warm water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, slivered
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the beef and saute until lightly browned, stirring to break up any clumps, about 7 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes longer. Add all the remaining ingredients except the butter and almonds. Mix well and simmer, uncovered, over moderate heat for about 20 minutes. In a small skillet, heat the butter and saute the almonds until they are golden brown.
- Mound the beef onto a serving platter and surround with white rice. Drizzle almonds over rice.
Hi Ice Cool Kitty! We had this for dinner tonight. It was something new for me- never had apple or sultanas with beef before! I had to use sultanas because we didn't have any raisins (one of those moments when one assumes one has an ingredient that one does in fact NOT have!). Also, we ran out of jalapenos, so I chopped up a mild green pepper and added a little cayenne to make up for the lack of heat. The recipe tasted great- a little sweet and savoury mixed together! Next time I think I'll make it a little more wet though, it would be better with a little sauce of some kind. My family all rated it in between 4 and 4.5. Yum! Thanks Ice Cool Kitty. Made on behalf of the Genies for ZWT5.