Found on the net & posted in response to a request. Substitute rice for potatoes, if desired. After making this for the first time myself, I made some minor changes in the steps to improve the recipe.
- Mix the garlic, salt, pepper and paprika to a paste.
- Rub into the chickens thoroughly, inside and out.
- If possible, season the chickens the day before they are to be used.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan or casserole.
- Add the onions and saute for 5 - 15 minutes, stirring frequently; remove & set aside.
- Add the chicken pieces & brown well on all sides; remove & set aside.
- Pour the wine into the pot & deglaze, using a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom.
- Return the onions & chicken pieces to the saucepan along with the bay leaf.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Add small additional amounts of water if needed.
- Add the potatoes and stir gently.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes
- Correct seasoning.
- Add the beans, olives, and pimentos and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- The flavour will be greatly improved if the stew is prepared early in the day and reheated before serving.