2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Recipe Junkie's Note:
From the Sunset Potluck Cookbook. This looks great! The recipe does not specify black or green olives, but green olives are what I'm used to with Cuban cuisine, so I plan on using those.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 lbs meaty chicken pieces, such as breasts, thighs and legs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or 1/2 cup regular-strength chicken broth
- 8 small thin-skinned red potatoes (about 1 and 1/2 lbs total)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry.
- 2Cut breast halves, if used, in half crosswise.
- 3Heat oil in a wide frying pan over medium heat.
- 4Add chicken, 4 or five pieces at a time (do not crowd).
- 5and cook until well browned on all sides.
- 6Remove pieces as they brown and transfer to a deep 5 to 6 quart casserole.
- 7When all chicken is browned, pour off and discard all but 2 T of the drippings.
- 8Add onions and bell peppers to drippings in pan.
- 9Cook, stirring often, until onions are soft but not browned.
- 10Stir in garlic, oregano, and cumin; then add tomato sauce and wine.
- 11Cook, stirring often until sauce comes to a boil.
- 12Boil gently, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- 13Peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into quarters.
- 14Add to chicken with raisins and olives.
- 15Pour sauce over chicken.
- 16(At this point, you may cover and refrigerate for up to a day).
- 17Bake covered in a 375 oven until meat near bone is no longer pink when slashed and potatoes are tender (1 and 1/2 hours).
- 18Stir in peas.
- 19Insulate to transport hot.
- 20Offer salt to add to taste.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cuban Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 437.9
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 77.6 mg
- Sodium 581.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 24.5 g