Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From the Sunset Potluck Cookbook. This looks great! The recipe does not specify black or green olives, but green olives are what I'm used to with Cuban cuisine, so I plan on using those.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs meaty chicken pieces, such as breasts, thighs and legs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup regular-strength chicken broth
- 8 small thin-skinned red potatoes (about 1 and 1/2 lbs total)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry.
- Cut breast halves, if used, in half crosswise.
- Heat oil in a wide frying pan over medium heat.
- Add chicken, 4 or five pieces at a time (do not crowd).
- and cook until well browned on all sides.
- Remove pieces as they brown and transfer to a deep 5 to 6 quart casserole.
- When all chicken is browned, pour off and discard all but 2 T of the drippings.
- Add onions and bell peppers to drippings in pan.
- Cook, stirring often, until onions are soft but not browned.
- Stir in garlic, oregano, and cumin; then add tomato sauce and wine.
- Cook, stirring often until sauce comes to a boil.
- Boil gently, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into quarters.
- Add to chicken with raisins and olives.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- (At this point, you may cover and refrigerate for up to a day).
- Bake covered in a 375 oven until meat near bone is no longer pink when slashed and potatoes are tender (1 and 1/2 hours).
- Stir in peas.
- Insulate to transport hot.
- Offer salt to add to taste.