Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This chicken is oh, so good! I like to use dark meat (legs prefferably, or thighs), but I'm sure that it would be good with leaner cuts if chicken as well.
- 6 chicken legs
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt (approx)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper (approx)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (approx)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons sofrito sauce
- 6 manzanilla olives
- Season chicken with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder (to taste).
- Meanwhile, heat a shallow pan over medium heat and add oil.
- Brown chicken in pan on both sides.
- Once chicken is browned, add in sofrito and turn chicken to coat all sides in the sauce. Reduce heat to a medium-low setting.
- With the side of a knife, crush olives and put into pan with chicken. Cook for about 15 minutes, turning chicken every few minutes until it is done.
- This is best served with white rice as you will have some of the sofrito mixture left over to put over your rice. YUM-O!
I made this tonight for dinner with yellow rice and black beans. It was a hit! Easy and delicious! I used less salt because the olives are salty. Thanks for sharing.
The flavor was good, but WAAAYY too salty. After seeing the 2 tablespoons of Kosher salt...I was like "huh?" So, I only added one and was nervous about that....oh my god...I drank 2 bottles of water with dinner just washing down the salt from the chicken. Next time, I will skip the salt altogether and maybe add some cumin.
Who knew I could cook such a great Cuban dish! Everyone really enjoyed it. We used sliced salad olives, next time I will go for the manzanilla olives, and there will be a for-sure next time, yum!