Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
from Taste of Cuba
- 1 lb flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb butter, cold and cut in small cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water, ice cold
- 1 onion, white medium, diced small
- 8 ounces spinach, chiffonade
- 3 cups cheese, Manchego, grated
- 1 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in 1/2 lb butter with pastry blender.
- Add one egg and vinegar.
- Slowly add water, as needed, mixing to form the dough.
- Turn dough out onto plastic wrap and knead until smooth, only a few seconds. Wrap well and chill 30 minutes.
- Saute onion in 2 T butter.
- Add spinach over medium heat.
- Cool, then combine with cheese, hazelnuts, and raisins.
- On lightly floured surface, roll half the chilled dough to 1/8" thick.
- Cut out 3" circles.
- Spoon 1 T filling into the center of each circle.
- Make egg wash with beaten egg and 2 T water.
- Brush egg wash around edges.Fold up edges forming a pouch, and seal.
- Refrigerate the empanadas on greased parchment paper for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush the empanadas with egg wash.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.