Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 mins
Three Guys from Miami; if you cannot get sour orange juice, a plausible substitution is—2 parts orange juice, 1 part lemon juice, 1 part lime juice. To make cracker meal—grind crackers in a food processor to a fine consistency.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sour orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin steaks (about 6 ounces per serving)
- 1 cup cracker meal (finely ground crackers)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- olive oil, for sauteing
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- Mix olive oil, sour orange juice, vinegar, and chopped onion to make marinade.
- Add un-pounded steak, cover, and marinate for 20 minutes.
- Remove steaks from marinade and place them, one at a time, between two pieces of waxed paper.
- Using a meat mallot, pound steaks to ¼-inch thickness; return steaks to marinade; refrigerate/marinate for 1-4 hours; remove beef and save marinade.
- In a bowl, combine cracker meal, garlic powder, and salt.
- Dip wet beef in egg whites, then dip in cracker mixture, coating well on both sides.
- Saute in heated olive oil to desired doneness; remove from pan and place on plate.
- Use some of the reserved marinade (with the onions) to deglaze the pan: cook at high heat, stirring constantly until the onions are cooked and the sauce reduces somewhat.
- Pour sauce over the steaks and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and freshly ground pepper.