1 hr 12 mins
Three Guys from Miami; if you cannot get sour orange juice, a plausible substitution is—2 parts orange juice, 1 part lemon juice, 1 part lime juice. To make cracker meal—grind crackers in a food processor to a fine consistency.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup sour orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 lbs sirloin steaks (about 6 ounces per serving)
- 1 cup cracker meal (finely ground crackers)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- olive oil, for sauteing
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Mix olive oil, sour orange juice, vinegar, and chopped onion to make marinade.
- 2Add un-pounded steak, cover, and marinate for 20 minutes.
- 3Remove steaks from marinade and place them, one at a time, between two pieces of waxed paper.
- 4Using a meat mallot, pound steaks to ¼-inch thickness; return steaks to marinade; refrigerate/marinate for 1-4 hours; remove beef and save marinade.
- 5In a bowl, combine cracker meal, garlic powder, and salt.
- 6Dip wet beef in egg whites, then dip in cracker mixture, coating well on both sides.
- 7Saute in heated olive oil to desired doneness; remove from pan and place on plate.
- 8Use some of the reserved marinade (with the onions) to deglaze the pan: cook at high heat, stirring constantly until the onions are cooked and the sauce reduces somewhat.
- 9Pour sauce over the steaks and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and freshly ground pepper.
Browse Our Top Very Low Carbs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cuban Breaded Steak (Bistec Empanizado)
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 793.7
- Calories from Fat 490
- Total Fat 54.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 166.6 mg
- Sodium 626.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 52.0 g