1/1 Photo of Cuban Bread
1 hr 15 mins
This is a slight adaption of a recipe from Amy Dacyczyn's "The Complete Tightwad Gazette." We lived on this bread when my son was little as we could not afford to buy regular sliced bread. We often make 12 rolls instead of the 2 loaves. This is wonderful bread!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the 2 cups whole wheat and 2 cups of the white flour together.
- 2Add the yeast, the sugar, and the salt.
- 3Pour in the hot water and beat for 100 strokes (or 3 minutes with a mixer).
- 4Stir in the rest of the flour until it is no longer sticky.
- 5Knead it for 8 minutes.
- 6Put the dough in a metal bowl that you have sprayed with cooking spray.
- 7Cover it with a damp towel.
- 8Let it rise for 15 minutes.
- 9Punch it down.
- 10Divide it into 2 pieces.
- 11Shape each piece into a round loaf and put them on a baking sheet that you have sprayed with cooking spray.
- 12Cut an x in the top of each loaf.
- 13If you want you can brush the top with water and put sesame seeds or poppy seeds on top.
- 14Put the pan on the middle rack of a cold oven.
- 15Put a pan of boiling water on the bottom shelf.
- 16Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 17Bake the bread for 40-50 minutes or until it is deep golden brown.
- 18**Ifyou want to use your food processor, put all the dry into the bowl.
- 19Turn it on and slowly add the water until the dough forms a ball.
- 20Let it spin 20 times.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cuban Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1031 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 945.9
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3507.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 199.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.5 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 33.9 g