Recipe by Dawn1
Similar to a french or white bread. You can shape this bread anyway you want, but it should be a round loaf. I like this bread in place of French or Italian and its a good pan bread as well.
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the water in mixing bowl.
- Mix all other ingredients in separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients. on top of the water.
- Mix on low or speed #2 for kitchen aid mixers (12min.).
- Add a little oil at the end of the mix, this will make it easy to remove the dough from the bowl.
- Lightly flour or oil flat surface and flatten the dough by hand. Lightly stretch and fold in all 4 sides (note: this will help to get a higher dough when baked off.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl with the folded sides down.
- After 30min punch down and do one more strech and fold. Let ferment 30 more minutes.
- Punch down and form dough into a round loaf (about a 20 oz loaf).
- Set loaf in or on what ever your going to bake in or on. (oiled or greased pan).
- At this point you can choose to score the bread now or I wait about 20 minutes or even the end of proofing (take care not to cut to deep if at the end.).
- Let loaf proof about 30 to 60 minutes (dough should dent to the touch but don't over proof).
- You can eggwash just before you bake but I place a small iron skillet at the bottom of the oven when heating to 400°F I place the bread on the oven racks and add a 1/2 oz of cool water to the skillet to steam. 3 times or 1st 5min. No egg wash is needed if your going to steam.
- Bake at 400°F about 18 minutes (don't forget to turn your bread after about 12min or halfway (even browning).
- Remove the bread and place on a cooling rack.(if you use a bread pan be sure to remove your loaf from the pan so it doesn't become soggy when cooling).
- Cool and enjoy.