Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I had a live in housekeeper who prepared this roast. We called it Chela's Roast, but later learned it was Boliche roast. This recipe is a combination of a half English, half Spanish recipe I wrote down as she cooked the roast and a Cuban Boliche Recipe I found. The roast goes well with any Hispanic rice dish.
- 3 -5 lbs eye of round roast
- 2 -4 chorizo sausage or 1 cup chopped ham
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour (may need more for a larger roast)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 large onions (sliced)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- Slice sausage.
- Make a cut in roast length wise down the center and create a pocket.
- Stuff with with sausage.
- Cut smaller slits in roast and insert garlic slices.
- Mix salt and pepper with flour and dredge roast in flour mixture.
- In a large pan or dutch oven heat olive oil and brown roast on all sides.
- (You aren't cooking the roast, just lightly browning it, the whole process should take about 5 minutes) Reduce heat and add remaining ingredients.
- Cook, covered over low heat for 3 hours.
- May add additional tomato sauce if necessary.
Irish, I haven't made this recipe yet. However all you need to do is put the rest of the ingredients over the roast.
I would like to try this recipe, and at the risk of sounding stupid,especially given the good reviews. . . What does one do with the oregano, bay leaves, paprika, tomato sauce, onions, and green pepper?
found this recipe to put in my school project on the Caribbean. my mum cooked it to try and its really gorgeous. Thankyou, Brad age 9, Poole Dorset