Recipe by Dawn
I had a live in housekeeper who prepared this roast. We called it Chela's Roast, but later learned it was Boliche roast. This recipe is a combination of a half English, half Spanish recipe I wrote down as she cooked the roast and a Cuban Boliche Recipe I found. The roast goes well with any Hispanic rice dish.
- 3 -5 lbs eye of round roast
- 2 -4 chorizo sausage or 1 cup chopped ham
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour (may need more for a larger roast)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 large onions (sliced)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice sausage.
- Make a cut in roast length wise down the center and create a pocket.
- Stuff with with sausage.
- Cut smaller slits in roast and insert garlic slices.
- Mix salt and pepper with flour and dredge roast in flour mixture.
- In a large pan or dutch oven heat olive oil and brown roast on all sides.
- (You aren't cooking the roast, just lightly browning it, the whole process should take about 5 minutes) Reduce heat and add remaining ingredients.
- Cook, covered over low heat for 3 hours.
- May add additional tomato sauce if necessary.