Prep 30 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Yummy, inexpensive and makes tons!
- 1 lb dried black beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons ground cumin (optional)
- 1 finely chopped jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups hot cooked rice, for serving
- Soak beans overnight.
- Combine all ingredients except rice in slow cooker 6 to 8 hours or until beans are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve beans over rice.
This recipe makes absolutely heaps and would be brilliant for a potluck or the like. I found that there was a lot of liquid and it was almost soupy in nature. Not sure if it was meant to be that way. Tastes great and I really enjoyed this meal.
Wonderful and easy. With a couple of little adjustments this would be 5 star for sure. I would reduce the water by about 1/2 cup and would add some more spices. For us the beans were a little bland, even though I added some chili powder. The method of cooking and cook time were perfect so I will be using this recipe again. Thank you.
Watery and slightly bitter. Perhaps it was the beans I used. I never have any luck with black beans.