Prep1 hr 30 mins
I can't remember where I got this recipe. The Cuban surgeon at the hospital where I worked said it was "almost as good" as his mother's!
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 slice cooked and crumbled bacon
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- chopped green onion, chopped hard boiled eggs,sour cream
- In a large stockpot cover beans with water and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for one hour.
- Drain water and cover with fresh water (6 cups).
- In a skillet saute the onions, bell pepper and garlic in oil for 5 minutes, until tender.
- Add onion mixture and all remaining ingredients, except the red wine vinegar, to the beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer covered for 2 hours, until beans are tender.
- Add more water if necessary.
- At the last minute add the red wine vinegar, just before serving.
- Serve with 2 cups of cooked rice.
- Top with chopped green onions, chopped hard boiled eggs or sour cream.