Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
I hunted and hunted for a black bean and rice recipe. And it was only when I found this recipe, was my hunt over. This recipe come from a book that I found on sale for a $1. The book is called Bean Cookery by Sue and Bill Deeming.
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 lb ham, cut into pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, if desired (optional)
- 1⁄2 large jalapeno pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups brown rice
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- Quick soak beans by bringing beans and water for soaking to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, Remove from heat and cover the pot. Let the beans stand in the soak water for 1 hour.Drain the soak water.
- I find that the beans will not get soft if you add anything to them. I put the beans in a pressure cooker and cook for 3 minutes. Let if cool until the top can be removed. Add onion, bouillon cube, ham, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, salt, jalapeno, and cayenne. Cook and simmer 10 minutes. Add green pepper and cook another 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice and top with crumbled cheese.