Recipe by Pierre Dance
I got my first recipe for "Frijoles Negro Cubano" 35 years ago in Havana Del Norte (Miami). The only change I made was to figure it for the crock pot.
Top Review by *****Sandy
These are nice for a change of pace -- no one raved about them, but they were good. I made a huge batch and froze some for later. I think these will be great on a blustery day. Thanks for sharing.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced with juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 3 smoked pork shanks
- 2 quarts vegetable stock or 2 quarts chicken stock
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb black beans, sorted, washed, soaked overnight with
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- sour cream
- hard-boiled egg, grated
- crumbled bacon
- chopped cilantro
- lime, quartered (Key limes are best)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 1 quart Stock in pot set on high.
- Saute (stir fry) first 4 ingredients 5 minute.
- Add Garlic, saute another 6-8 min,'til Onions are translucent.
- Roast Allspice in a small frying pan and grind fresh Add Tomatoes and seasoning to pan, stir well.
- Add vegetables and Ham Shanks to pot.
- Rinse beans well and add to pot.
- Top off with Stock.
- Cover reduce to low.
- Cook 8-10 hours.
- Remove Ham Shanks and remove meat from the bones. Shred meat to bite size with forks. Return to pot.
- Serve topped with Sour Cream, grated Hard Boiled Egg, Crumbled Bacon, chopped Cilantro and a squeeze or two of Lime Juice around the edges of the bowl.