Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
After carefully perusing the other Cuban black bean dishes here, I decided this one is different enough to offer. Served over brown rice, with all the toppings, it's a power-packed veggie plate! For guests or family members who do eat meat, a good roast pork loin, grilled chicken, or lime-barbecued shrimp would round out the meal. A salad with a sweet citrus vinaigrette and sliced fresh oranges would make this a feast!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- Heat oil in medium saucepan, and saute' onion, celery, and garlic until soft. Add seasonings and beans, water, lime juice, wine, and bouillion cube. Bring to boil and reduce to low simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, until beans are soft.
- Serve over brown rice with toppings of fresh chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado, sour cream, and extra lime juice.