Recipe by Vino Girl
Any firm, white fish can be substituted for the cod. I think this originally was printed in Shape magazine. The recipe says it serves four, but this really makes a lot of soup!
- 1 lb dry black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 8 ounces cod, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans in a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add water to cover the beans by 4-5 inches.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or overnight.
- (This is my preferred way to prepare beans, but you can also do it the traditional way on the stove if you prefer.) Drain the beans and add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well and cook on low for 8-10 hours.