Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This has been modified for low sodium diet. You can substitute soup base and 1/2 cup of water with same amount of low sodium chicken stock. For more flavor, use one small smoked ham hock. Preparation time does not include time to soak beans overnight.
- 6 ounces dried black beans
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 4 ounces onions (chopped)
- 2 ounces green peppers (chopped)
- 1⁄4 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chicken soup base
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon low-sodium worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄16 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3⁄4 quart water
- 1⁄4 whole smoked ham hock
- 2 ounces smoked sausage
- salt and pepper
- Cover beans with 2 inches cold water, bring to boil for 2 minutes, remove and soak overnight.
- Drain, rinse, cover with 1 inch water and add 1/2 of the chopped onion, 1/2 of the chopped green pepper, 1/2 of garlic, 1/2 of bayleaves, 1/2 soup base, and ham bone.
- Saute remaining onion, pepper, garlic, and then add oregano, cumin, vinegar, worchestershire sauce, wine, and liquid smoke to taste.
- Cover mixture, boil for 2 minutes, and cook for 1 hour.
- Serve with small amount of rice and/or diced onion on top of soup.