1/6 Photos of Cuban Black Bean Soup
I got this recipe from the Bob's Red Mill website, and it is awesome! I adjusted the sequence and ingredients a bit to suit me. It's my favorite Black Bean recipe so far, and I've tried a half dozen over the last few weeks, looking for just the right taste. This one has it! Serve it over cooked brown rice or cooked kasha and bulgur wheat for more fiber. You can use vegetable stock instead of chicken if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans organic black beans
- 4 cups chicken stock (fresh or canned)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper, to taste
- 1Over medium-low heat, add oil to stock pot.
- 2Add garlic, bell pepper and onion, and cook until onion is clear, not browned.
- 3Add chicken stock and dry seasonings, stirring well.
- 4Add black beans and cover. Reduce heat to low and cook 20-30 minutes.
- 5Add red wine vinegar during last 5 minutes of cooking.
- 6Remove bay leaves before serving.
- 7Serve over prepared brown rice or prepared Kasha and bulgur wheat to add additional fiber.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cuban Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.1
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 4.8 mg
- Sodium 263.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 13.7 g