Recipe by FloridaNative
I got this recipe from the Bob's Red Mill website, and it is awesome! I adjusted the sequence and ingredients a bit to suit me. It's my favorite Black Bean recipe so far, and I've tried a half dozen over the last few weeks, looking for just the right taste. This one has it! Serve it over cooked brown rice or cooked kasha and bulgur wheat for more fiber. You can use vegetable stock instead of chicken if desired.
Top Review by Roseflr
I loved this. I added a can of chopped mild green chilies and served it over cooked rice. Next time I'll serve it over quinoa for added protein. It was fast and easy, too. My son thought it should be a bit spicier, but I prefer to make it as is and he can put a little sriracha in his.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansorganic black beans
- 4 cups chicken stock (fresh or canned)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium-low heat, add oil to stock pot.
- Add garlic, bell pepper and onion, and cook until onion is clear, not browned.
- Add chicken stock and dry seasonings, stirring well.
- Add black beans and cover. Reduce heat to low and cook 20-30 minutes.
- Add red wine vinegar during last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Serve over prepared brown rice or prepared Kasha and bulgur wheat to add additional fiber.