Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great for black bean lovers!
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 709.77 ml cooked brown rice (from 1 cup dry)
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 59.14 ml apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 2 (850.48 g) can black beans
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, with seeds, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml ground cumin
- 7.39 ml dried oregano
- 946.0 ml chicken broth or 946.0 ml vegetable broth
- 29.58 ml apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- cayenne pepper
- nonfat plain yogurt (optional) or sour cream (optional)
- cayenne pepper
- Prepare marinated rice by mixing together the ingredients.
- Let marinate at room temperature, if making soup right away. Otherwise, cover, refrigerate, and marinate up to 1 day. Let rice come to room temperature before serving.
- Rinse beans in a strainer until canning juices run clear.
- Heat olive oil over medium high, and add onions. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add jalapenos, bell peppers and garlic; cook until softened.
- Stir in spices.
- Add broth, vinegar and beans.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes (or longer, if desired), stirring occasionally.
- Taste for salt and spiciness. Add cayenne pepper, if more heat is desired.
- Serve soup in bowls over a scoop of rice. Top with cilantro and yogurt, if desired.
- Store left-over rice separately from soup, so liquid will not all be absorbed.
Delish. Made mine with a yellow bell if you see the photo. Flavor of the marinated rice is nice! We had extra rice left over. Thanks for sharing!
As a confirmed black bean lover, I did love this soup--but then I am a cilantro lover too, so this was right up my alley. This has a nice level of heat, but doesn't burn, and a nice undercurrent of sour without overdoing it. I confess to using white rice (basmati) but otherwise I was faithful to the instructions. Good soup, Maito!
Made this tasty soup today for lunch. I was quite surprised at how the vinegar really elevated this soup and the rice. I almost didn't put the full amount of vinegar in the rice, but it absorbs the vinegar and results in a delicious marinated rice. The only change I made was to omit the cayenne as the jalapenos added enough kick for our tastes and I added an extra can of black beans. Next time I might reduce the amount of onion and bell pepper a little. Enjoyed this soup very much and will definitely make it again.