Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great for black bean lovers!
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (from 1 cup dry)
- 1 1⁄2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, with seeds, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 quart chicken broth or 1 quart vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- cayenne pepper
- nonfat plain yogurt (optional) or sour cream (optional)
- cayenne pepper
- Prepare marinated rice by mixing together the ingredients.
- Let marinate at room temperature, if making soup right away. Otherwise, cover, refrigerate, and marinate up to 1 day. Let rice come to room temperature before serving.
- Rinse beans in a strainer until canning juices run clear.
- Heat olive oil over medium high, and add onions. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add jalapenos, bell peppers and garlic; cook until softened.
- Stir in spices.
- Add broth, vinegar and beans.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes (or longer, if desired), stirring occasionally.
- Taste for salt and spiciness. Add cayenne pepper, if more heat is desired.
- Serve soup in bowls over a scoop of rice. Top with cilantro and yogurt, if desired.
- Store left-over rice separately from soup, so liquid will not all be absorbed.
Delish. Made mine with a yellow bell if you see the photo. Flavor of the marinated rice is nice! We had extra rice left over. Thanks for sharing!
Really nice soup! Whole family enjoyed it.
This soup was a hit with both my husband and I. We did not use the yogurt and cilantro which were optional. The apple cider vinegar gave it a nice tang.