Cook3 hrs 30 mins
The original. Not time-effective.
Make and share this Cuban Black Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup sour cream (for garnish)
- 3 quarts cold water
- Place the beans in a large pan. Cover with 3 quarts cold water and add the bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook the beans for 3 hours, stirring frequently and adding more water as necessary to keep the beans covered at all times.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and sauté over medium-high heat until translucent, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, and dried and fresh oregano and sauté for 2 more minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Transfer the onion mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- When the beans are almost tender, add the onion puree, sugar, and salt, and continue cooking until just tender, 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Ladle the hot soup into bowls and garnish with sour cream.