Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cooking Light, MARCH 2007
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) bagboil-in-bag long-grain rice
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rinsed drained canned black beans (1 (15-ounce)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- To prepare rice, cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; place rice in a large bowl. Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add pineapple; sauté 4 minutes or just until pineapple begins to brown. Add pineapple mixture, cilantro, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to rice in bowl; cover and keep warm. Wipe pan clean with paper towels.
- To prepare patties, place 1 1/2 cups beans, garlic, cumin, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl; partially mash with a fork.
- Place 1/2 cup remaining beans and egg white in a food processor; process 30 seconds or until well combined.
- Add bean puree to mashed beans in bowl, and stir until combined. Add cheese and onion to bean mixture; stir until combined.
- Divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place cornmeal in a shallow dish. Dredge both sides of each patty in cornmeal.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup rice onto each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 patty and 1 tablespoon sour cream.